One of the surefire signs that you’re an expectant mother is a warm, glowing complexion – but when you’re suffering from melasma, you might feel like hiding away from happy family members and friends. Melasma – otherwise known as “the mask of pregnancy – is a dark skin discoloration that is thought to occur due to hormonal fluctuations during a woman’s pregnancy. Melasma is commonly found on facial features, including the upper cheeks, nose, lips, and forehead. These skin patches often have the following features:
- They’re tan or dark in nature (much like a freckle);
- They occur over time, rather than all at once.
While melasma often occurs with pregnant women, it can also occur for the following reasons:
- You’re pre- or post-menopausal (when hormonal fluctuation is common)
- You’re taking oral or patch contraceptives (again, this causes hormonal fluctuations)
- You’re on hormonal replacement therapy medications (HRT)
- You’re of Native American, German, Russian, or Jewish ancestry (research has shown these ethnicities are more likely to suffer from melasma)
If you believe you’re suffering from melasma – and you want to free your complexion from these marks and discolorations – schedule a consultation with A Beautiful You Medical Spa for a laser skin resurfacing treatment. Only laser skin therapies are effective at treating melasma, as these techniques virtually remove discolorations, all while promoting the production of collagen within the body.
A Beautiful You Medical Spa’s laser skin resurfacing treatment utilizes the Pixel 2940, which combines the effectiveness of an ablative approach with the comfort of a non-ablative laser. This means you’ll be able to see ideal results without going through the pain and discomfort that often comes with strong laser skin resurfacing treatments.
If you’re suffering from melasma, it’s important to schedule a consultation with A Beautiful You Medical Spa before undergoing this treatment. If you’re currently pregnant, you may not be able to utilize this treatment until after you give birth.